Socialbakers Presents New Infographic: The Past Four Months of Campaigning for the Top Republican Candidates, According to Facebook
Santorum Surges in Popularity, Increases Fan Base by 107 Percent in Past 30 Days, While Top Candidates Increase Use of Links, Videos for Voter Engagement
San Francisco, Calif. – January 09, 2012 – In less than one week since Socialbakers announced its findings for the most engaging and influential U.S. presidential candidates throughout the month of December, the presidential campaign trail has continued to heat up as several candidates take the lead, while one announced the end of her campaign.
Today, Socialbakers debuted its latest findings in the Three-Horse Race Infographic about the top Republican candidate’s past four months of engagement, “likes”, comments and content on Facebook. The research and latest infographic can be found through Socialbakers’ political microsite.
Most notably, Rick Santorum has surged in Facebook engagement and popularity throughout the past four months – analyses indicates that Facebook information may be the early predictor of which candidates are most likely to advance in the campaign.
Microsite and infographic: www.socialbakers.com/elections
What type of content is being shared in the past 30 days?
- Santorum increased fan base by 107%, followed by Paul at 14% and Romney at 7%
- Santorum leads the top three candidates in number of posts shared – 6X more than Paul and 5X more than Romney
- For Santorum and Paul, posts that include a link have the most number of interactions (“likes” and comments), followed by posts with photos. For Romney, status updates have the most number of interactions, followed by posts with photos.
- The top three candidates have shared an average of 19 videos on Facebook, with Santorum leading with 36 video posts
Facebook user engagement for the top three GOP candidates in the past 30 days
- Number of candidate posts about New Hampshire Primary: 37
- Number of “likes” for all New Hampshire-related posts: 47,266
- Total comments for all New Hampshire-related posts: 10,811
- Number of candidate posts about Iowa Caucus: 213
- Number of “likes” for all Iowa-related posts: 143,528
- Total comments for all Iowa-related posts: 32,376
Telling facts about candidates gaining popularity over the past four months
- Santorum averaged an 11 percent monthly increase in fans, followed by Paul at eight percent and Romney at three percent
- Santorum more than tripled his “People Talking About*” between November and December
- Ron Paul nearly doubled his “People Talking About*” between November and December
For more information, please find the political microsite, and this and past infographics here.
*People Talking About: The number of unique people who have created a story about a candidate’s Page (Facebook metric).
Socialbakers is a social media analytics company, and the most cited source for global Facebook data with over 10 million Facebook pages and places indexed. Launched in 2008, Socialbakers tools include its easy-to-use Engagement Analytics and Engagement Builder. The company is the only solution that allows brands such as Lufthansa, L'Oreal, Danone, Vodafone, Samsung, GE Money, Ogilvy, Kraft and Peugeot to measure, compare and contrast the success of their social media campaigns with competitive intelligence. Socialbakers is the recipient of the Red Herring 100 Europe 2011 Award. For more information, visit www.socialbakers.com.