"VIVA's position in the social media universe is at the top,” says Mohamad Ibrahim, the Kuwaiti telecom's company's director of corporate strategy.
Although the brand is only five years old, VIVA enjoyed 33% market share in Kuwait in 2013. Social media has been an important part of the company's growth and staying power.
“Social media has been one of the crucial factors behind VIVA's success.”
Director of Corporate Strategy
Because VIVA provides its customers with superior telecommunication services, it makes sense that its marketing team focuses much of its outreach on social media and other online marketing. VIVA was quickly able to become a leading brand in the region “despite competing with very strong incumbents and well-established brands in the high-value Kuwaiti market,” Ibrahim explains.
The brand's swift rise in popularity is partly thanks to timing. VIVA tapped into social marketing at the same time that the population increasingly Kuwait residents adopted social media. "[They] embraced the openness and opportunities brought by the likes of Twitter ,and Instagram for locals, and Facebook by both for Kuwaiti citizens and expats communities," Ibrahim says.
In addition to being on-trend, being active on social media allows VIVA to give better customer care and save costs on traditional advertising, he adds.
Using Socialbakers Analytics, VIVA is able to keep tabs on its main competitors in the Gulf region and carefully parse what social media strategies are winning the most Interactions and increasing their fan base. Socialbakers' solutions also provide Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) for the social media team and the brand more widely. "(With Socialbakers) we monitor performance properly," Ibrahim says.
VIVA's Ibrahim's team members report on a weekly basis, and then make insight-driven decisions to shift their strategy accordingly. Ibrahim says that since they began using Socialbakers' solutions, VIVA's social marketing staffers are more productive and more efficient.
Social media provides VIVA the perfect platforms to highlight trends in technology for their customers, as well as to issue important notices about network upgrades, corporate announcements, and upcoming services. They also promote corporate social responsibility initiatives across their social channels.
"The social factor in increasing VIVA recommendations is very important in Kuwait," Ibrahim says. "Culturally, people rely on recommendation and word of mouth."
- Affiliated with: Saudi Telecom Company, the Kuwaiti government
- Net Profit in 2013: $86 million
- Mobile customers: 2.15 million
- Market share: 33 percent
- Social media platforms: Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Instagram
- Socialbakers client since: May 1st, 2012.
Return On Investment
Since signing up for Socialbakers in 2012, VIVA has seen their market share increase 18%. Each KPI that VIVA identified as essential for their business has also increased. In addition, reporting has become simpler, and the e-mail reports that are available in Socialbakers Analytics keep everyone in the team reminded about their KPIs.
- Topple communications incumbents with a small social team
- Efficiently communicate in a high-value market
- Elevate brand equity and increase recommendations
- Use cultural norms to their advantage
- Leverage increasing social adoption by market base to grow market share
- Use data-driven insights to determine accurate performance metrics
- Use Socialbakers Analytics to see who is using what networks, for more personalized marketing
- Show weekly results to management for easy understanding of social conversions