Every marketer approaches social media with different goals in mind. It’s a competitive landscape where everyone are content creators; and whatever the goal, we all face the challenge of making great content that works.
1. What Does Your Target Audience Want?
If you make content with or without a general audience in mind, chances are you won’t get stellar results. It’s important to envision your target audience in as much detail as possible. Try saving several profiles of your real followers for examples of a ‘typical’ audience member or create imaginary personas.
Find out what content resonates with your audience by checking the numbers and answering these questions:
- What stories do they enjoy? - It might be very different from what your company wants to tell
- What types of content do they prefer (text, images, or videos)? - Fulfill what they want to see and hear
- What big problems or desires do they have? - Find ways your products or services can help
2. Brainstorming Content Ideas
That’s why we’ve developed the Inspiration tool in our Performance Optimization solution. It’s an aggregated search engine - think Google for marketers. Simply filter your search to instantly find the best performing content on any topic. Even if you don’t have this time-saving tool, you can still search the most popular pages on social for inspiration, manually.
The best posts offer audiences the greatest value, in the form of:
- Usefulness - beneficial, inspiring or informative
- Emotionally provoking - entertaining, jaw-dropping, heart-wrenching, humorous, or caring
- Evoking exclusivity - makes people look good by being ‘in the know’ through sharing your content
To include these values in your content, ask yourself:
- What is the main strength of our products? Why are people attracted to them in the first place?
- How can we solve our audience’s problems / fulfill their wishes better than anyone else?
- What insider stories can we offer? How can we make our community feel special?
- What useful information can only we provide? What does our company know that no other company does?
- How can we make our audience feel emotion? You can make them care about something (with a good story), feel awe (think picturesque shots of National Geographic), entertain them (like any good viral video) or make them laugh (remember that latest popular meme?).
3. Data Never Lies: Find Out What WorksAnalyzing data is the only way of measuring whether the content piece you’ve just created is good or not so good. After publishing, let your post populate users’ feeds - in other words, see how it performs organically. Watch the reaction - if it worked well, replicate that. If it went unnoticed, or worse, received negative feedback, make a note and move on.
Having data at your fingertips is imperative for benchmarking against past activity and replicating what works. It gives you scientific proof for all of your editorial decisions.
You May Also Like
7 Steps to Creating Compelling Instagram Video…
Even though Instagram had been popular long before it was purchased by Facebook, teaming up with the biggest social media platform in the world made it a force to be reckoned with.
How to Boost Your Facebook Organic Reach: 10…
Due to the ever-changing Facebook News Feed algorithm, many marketers believe the days of organic Facebook reach are over.
But while it might be more difficult for your content to perform well organically, it's surely not impossible - and we're about to prove it.
Read on to discover ten effective ways to beat the algorithm and improve your organic reach!