Community management is one of the most important activities for brands who rely on social media to contribute to their marketing and sales cycles. Often people confuse social media marketing with community management - but they are two distinct disciplines.
Where does community management begin?
How can I develop an effective strategy?
1. Acquisition & Content Validity
Be ready with a social media community management strategy in place as campaigns unfold, and label your customer queries to reflect each stage.
Your community can also be an accurate measurement for validating your content.
2. Social Customer Care
Monitor brand mentions, hashtags, fan/followers posts on your owned profiles, and respond to audience queries as quickly as possible. Unanswered complaints or questions can harm your brand’s reputation and strengthen the voice of unsatisfied customers.
This technology can help brands lower care costs over time and has the potential to improve social customer care. However, you need to evaluate if the technology will deliver appropriate care for your community, and what the possibilities are for bettering relationships - rather than only thinking about how chatbots will save you money.
3. Crisis Management
Team coordination, product knowledge, and leadership are key.
The internal team organization for crisis management and customer care should facilitate the process of attending to negative comments.
A great example of crisis management took place on a Fan Page in Brazil at the beginning of 2017, when a customer posted a video on Youtube claiming that the Catuaba Selvagem drink was full of maggots. Catuaba is an immensely popular drink that is consumed by the youth in Brazil, particularly during Carnival season.
- Catuaba reposted the user’s video on their Fan Page and asked the community to find and tag the original user who posted the video.
- The brand explained that the deposits at the bottom of the bottle for Catuaba Acai were actually, well, Acai! No maggots there, just fruit!
- It additionally said that this Acai bottle should be shaken before consumption so that the fruit is mixed well with the drink before serving.
- The brand then proceeded to invite the user and his friends to visit the Catuaba factory and see for themselves how the new flavor was made!
- 5 days later they released a video where the factory manager showed the public the wonders behind the scenes that happen to create Catuaba Selvagem.
- In a few days, the repost became viral and caused many people to create their own version of the tainted bottle video in a supermarket, a funny attempt to get invited into the drink factory.
- Because of the quick and smart response, the brand turned a crisis into a win, and received “free” press just in time for Carnival.
Evaluate which users are creating great content and add user-generated content (UGC) into your marketing strategy. That way, you can feature this authentic feedback.
Fenty Beauty (by Rihanna) created a beautiful campaign for the release of her beauty line. The brand is including just as much UGC as they are branded photos and videos for their social channels.
This log should include the details of customer interactions within social platforms, detailing the date, social platform, issue addressed, the name of the social member who addressed the problem, the name of the fan/follower/customer with a link to their profile, and if the issue was resolved.
As new social features become available in each platform (Instagram polls for example), make sure that your brand is ready to embrace it. Ensure that these new features are appropriate for your social strategy and what objectives can be achieved with them.
You May Also Like
7 Steps to Creating Compelling Instagram Video…
Even though Instagram had been popular long before it was purchased by Facebook, teaming up with the biggest social media platform in the world made it a force to be reckoned with.
How to Write Instagram Captions That Skyrocket…
If you think that jaw-dropping photos are the only thing that helps you get social media engagement - you're wrong. Though often underrated, Instagram captions can be a powerful tool that can make or break your post. Read on for easy-to-follow tips that will help you get Instagram caption ideas in no time.