Facebook is undoubtedly the most popular channel for social media advertising. Today, it is being leveraged by 6 million businesses who are actively trying to win the attention of over 2 billion users, mainly with the help of paid content and ads. These numbers alone show just how competitive Facebook marketing is, and the platform's recent Q4 2017 Earnings report indicates this trend will only intensify, making it more challenging for marketers to stand out in their audiences' News Feeds.
In this guide, we provide practical recommendations on how to improve Facebook ads' performance using a variety of smart tactics like competitive ads benchmarking. These methods will help marketers immediately elevate their position within the industry, country, and region.
The Importance of Benchmarking Your Facebook Ads
- Gain a full picture of your performance. Take your ads out of isolation and see where you really stand in the context of the industry, region, and country.
- Identify your strong and weak points. Discover where you're outperforming the competition and where you're falling behind to be able to rethink and improve your strategy.
- Learn how efficient your investments are. Evaluate how much your competitors are spending on their ads and the value they're generating to assess the efficiency of your own paid strategy.
- Support your budget requirements. Demonstrate that you are performing better than the competition and use it as an argument for a budget increase.
- Generate better social media ROI. Use the unparalleled insights from competitive benchmarking to optimize your strategy, measure your ROI accurately with up-to-date data, and deliver better social media results overall.
3 Metrics That Define Your Facebook Ad Performance
1. Average Content Performance
Seeing how your ads perform within the market context is essential to improving your content strategy. Benchmarking your relevance score can be especially helpful, as it allows you to estimate just how good you are at understanding your target audience and delivering meaningful content in comparison to the competition. The better your relevance score compared to the industry, country, and region, the higher the chance that it's you - not the competitors - who is going to successfully tap into the audience and turn them into customers.
2. Average Cost Performance
By benchmarking your spend against the industry, country, or region you can discern whether you are over- or under-spending for your Facebook advertising. It is also necessary to investigate your ad costs in relation to the previously mentioned engagement metrics to see how much value you are receiving from your budget.
3. Average Engagement Performance
Measuring metrics such as impressions, actions, reach, and Click-through Rate (CTR) will give you a partial picture of the ad’s performance. In fact, it is only after you benchmark these metrics against the industry, country, or region that you're able to pinpoint the strengths and weaknesses of your ad strategy.
How to Effectively Benchmark Your Ad Performance
Socialbakers' Ads Benchmarks processes data on $3 billion in ad spend to give you up-to-date market benchmarks and add a competitive context to your ad efforts. As a result, you're able to gain a better understanding of your position, fix the potential shortcomings in your strategy, and generate more value from your Facebook investments.
Most Common Facebook Ad Performance Scenarios
What is it?
What does it mean?You're spending a lot on expensive ads that don't resonate with your audience. It is also likely that your ads are of poor quality or irrelevant to your target audience.
How to Improve Your Content?
- Start with finding a source of powerful content ideas which will allow you to quickly get inspired and produce more appealing ads.
- Learn as much as you can about your audience to discover their preferences and interests. Once you single out your audience personas, A/B test your ads with them and see what content works best for each group.
- Look into what used to resonate with your audiences in the past and identify why. Was it a particular subject you talked about or a certain content format that worked exceptionally well? Use this knowledge to replicate the success.
- Leverage the multitude of the available Facebook ad formats to create attractive ads that will grasp your audience's attention. Make sure you're using high-quality visuals and clear, strong copy.
The Importance of Knowing Your Audience
What is it?
What does it mean?Overall, it means that you're doing a good job. However, if your ad spend is lower than the industry benchmark, you might want to increase it to contribute even more to the business bottom line.
How to Improve Your Cost?
- Aim for a high relevance score - Facebook's exclusive metric estimating the suitability of an ad for its target audience. The higher your relevance score is, the less you'll have to pay for your ads, which is why you should always offer your audiences the best possible content.
- Focus on increasing your CTR, which will improve your relevance score and decrease costs. You can achieve it with a number of tactics - from using strong Call-to-Actions (CTAs) to leveraging Facebook's precise retargeting options and showing your ads to an already interested audience.
- A/B test your ads to identify what works and what doesn't. As a result, you will be able to invest only in ads that generate satisfactory results and eliminate the ones that are lagging behind.
- Increase spending on Facebook News Feed ads - this ad placement is proven to achieve high CTR, especially on mobile. Socialbakers' analysis of 94,153 Facebook and Instagram ads showed that ads placed within Facebook News Feed achieve a CTR of 1.6% on mobile and 0.8% on desktop. To put that into perspective, ads placed within the Right-Hand Column have a CTR of 0.1%.
- Use your budget more efficiently by selectively investing in posts with the biggest potential to engage.
- Look into the content your competitors are promoting to be able to put money behind your own posts more strategically.
Facebook Relevance Score in Close-up
What is it?Hero Status occurs when your total spend, audience engagement, and content performance are high while your ad costs are low.
What does it mean?It looks like you've mastered the art of Facebook advertising. You are spending a lot and your investments bring great results - your content performs very well and effectively engages your audience. You're doing great, keep it up!
How to Improve Your Reporting?
- Reporting is key to demonstrating your contribution to the company's business results and asking for more budget to open doors to new markets. That's why you need to know how to get it right.
- Start with selecting metrics that matter most to your company and that are aligned with your social media activities' objectives. These can include the volume of new fans, website visits, or conversions.
- Choose the most suitable time range that best reflects the impact of your efforts, such as a month, a quarter, or from the beginning of a campaign to its end.
- Generate charts presenting relevant data in an easy-to-understand way. Don't forget to prepare head-to-head overviews, benchmarking your performance against the competition.
- To keep an eye on the fluctuations in your results, schedule the reports to be delivered to your mailbox on a regular basis.
What is it?Trial Run occurs when your ad costs are high, and your total spend, audience engagement, and content performance are low.
What does it mean?
How to Improve Your Engagement?
- Focus on storytelling. Captivating stories that highlight your personality and appeal to feelings and emotions have a big potential to make your audiences relate to and interact with your content.
- Use highly engaging content formats. One of them is Facebook Live video, which allows the audiences to connect and interact with the live stream in real-time. Other formats that are known to get a strong response from the audiences are photos and 360 Live content.
- Write concise copy that delivers a powerful message and encourages your audience to interact. Including strong Call-to-Actions (CTAs) such as "Share your opinion" in your ads will help you get the desired response from your community and increase engagement.
- Publish when your audiences are online to maximize the visibility of your content and increase the chances of receiving interactions.
From Social Media Engagement to Social Media ROI
Every Facebook reaction, comment or share is a proof of users' interest in your company. It is also a bridge between you and your audience that can help you gain new customers. The information about who and how often interacted with your content is especially valuable, as it allows you to single out a particular group of users and turn them into a more specified target audience for your next campaign. This way, you're able to advertise to people who have already signaled they're keen on your business, which can greatly increase your social media ROI.
If you're using Socialbakers Ads Benchmarks, the tips outlined in this guide will also enable you to work on these areas of your strategy that are weaker compared to the competition. Whether your scenario is Content Red Flags, Missed Opportunities or Trial Run, we will help you achieve the Hero Status in no time!
Do you know how your advertising strategy falls within the competitive context? Find out now with Ads Benchmarks in Socialbakers Suite!
You May Also Like
How Much Does It Cost to Advertise on Facebook?
What's the cost of advertising on Facebook? This is a question frequently asked by companies wishing to market on the platform. We rounded up key data points, insights, and tips to give you an answer and explain how big of a budget you need to advertise your business on Facebook.
Target Audience on Facebook: How to Reach and…
One of the biggest advantages of Facebook advertising is the ability to identify and target a highly specific audience. But while the possibility is there, many marketers are still struggling to reach the right user group that would convert. If you're one of them, read on to find out how to connect with your target audience and turn them into customers: