YouTube Influencer Marketing is growing in importance to savvy marketers. Here's why it's going to be crucial in 2019.
- Reaching new targeted audiences. YouTube is the second place platform worldwide in terms of active users, and more than 500 million hours of videos are watched on YouTube each day. In addition, around 30% of all internet users have a YouTube account
- Influencing product discovery. YouTube is also the second largest search engine in the world (after Google) and receives around 30M visits per day
- Ranking your video on Google search results for certain keywords, such as how-to keywords (how to download a YouTube video), reviews (Marshall headphones review), and tutorials (Setting up Instagram business account). This means that you can optimize your video views and get traffic from Google’s homepage too
- Driving purchase intent. Today, content consumption is shifting and GlobalWebIndex reports that 92% of internet users now watch videos online each month. It's also predicted that 80% of all internet traffic will come from video in 2019. Needless to say, these shifting trends in media consumption will directly affect your strategy and investment
1. Set Your Objectives
Any strategy should start by defining the objectives that you want to achieve: increasing brand awareness, growing an audience, promoting a product trial, etc. At this point you'll be ready to identify exactly the right Youtube influencer for you, define your content storytelling and choose the most relevant KPI's to track and measure your influencers performance.
2. Define Target & Brand Positioning
One of the main advantages of working with YouTube influencers is that they are talented creators and when you collaborate with these YouTubers, you can create content that really resonates with your audience. In any case, you have to define your target audience. Ask yourself the following questions about your target audience to help you decide which influencer you're looking for:
- Which channels are they active on?
- What types of content do they interact with?
- What are their interests?
- What do they not like?
- In which ways do they tend to discover a new brand or product?
- What leads them to follow or recommend a brand?
Tip: keywords selection is a key ranking factor on YouTube. So, analyze the top video by video views for your industry based on the keywords you want to start optimizing around. In this way, you can generate consumer insights about users' preferences. For instance, in the example below it's noticeable that the top video is not a “how to bake an Oreo cake” (as expected) but a school prank on how to transform an Oreo packet into a perfectly realistic pencil case!
The second step is to define the type of positioning that we want to drive through our video campaign. From a practical standpoint, we have to decide our main focus in terms of:
- Product line, value proposition and benefits
- Competitive differentiation
- Tone of voice and coherence with the overall brand image
In both cases (target and positioning), we are going to leverage this information to fine-tune our influencer selection.
3. Select Influencers Based on Data
A project's potential ROI is affected from the very first stage of decision-making because influencer selection represents the most delicate phase of every YouTube influencer marketing strategy. Why? Influencer marketing can be a little expensive, especially on YouTube where the content creation process requires more effort than image or text-based posts. According to the latest estimates, YouTube influencers can earn $500 to $5,000+ per video based on their potential reach:
- 50,000 to 100,000 channel subscribers: $500 to $1,000 per video
- 100,000 to 500,000 channel subscribers $1,000 to $3,000 per video
- 500,000+ channel subscribers $3,000 to 5,000+ per video
Start by mixing search criteria like interests (do the influencers topics of interest match those of my target personas?), follower count (boosting awareness or positioning a product for a specific niche?), YouTube category (which community do I want to reach?) and posting frequency (how active is the influencer and on which channels?).
Next, benchmark our first selected creators based on performance metrics such as:
- Subscribers and video views ratio. It is relatively easy to buy 5k subscribers for 1$ but it will negatively impact the views and, consequently, your channel will be penalized. We should keep in mind that the primary YouTube ranking factor is audience retention. This is because we will also look at indicators like watch time (the amount of time that a viewer has watched a video) and the average view duration (estimated average minutes watched per view for the selected video and date range).
- Engagement rate (the amount of interactions in relationship to the amount of video views). It is a strong signal to YouTube that the video is relevant to the audience and will directly impact the ranking. Keep in mind that the ratio between number of followers and engagement rate should be evaluated by the type of goals that you want to achieve. For instance, celebrities are more effective at driving recall than creators (Think with Google data) but creators are 4X more effective at driving an increase in brand awareness than celebrities
- Ratio of growth of total subscribers to number of new videos posted
- Top content by video views and engagement. In this case, we'll check if the influencer style is in-line with the brand image and identity
- Last but not least, cross-check your profile data with the potential partner Influencers profile to be sure the creator can guarantee a better performance than your own performance
4. Create An Effective Brief
Today, we are facing a double challenge:
Brands don't trust influencers and tend to control the partnership. On the other hand, influencers are often not 100% clear about brands' expectations in terms of real and measurable business outcomes.
The two parties involved should work together to bring insights into the creative process through data analysis, so an easy and scalable methodology is needed.
First of all, brands and influencers should agree on how the campaign will be evaluated (which KPIs) and set-up realistic goals by analyzing the historical performance of the brand channel (which performance level do we need to beat) and the influencers channel (branded content average performance VS unsponsored content).
We will also compare metrics and data like average video length, comment & shares rate, average views per video. In this way, we can deep-dive into the influencers audience preference and define (based on the objectives that we want to reach) the most relevant format for our campaign (tutorial, demo, unpacked, Q&A, how-to, product review, etc).
Another example of this two-way process is the creation of thumbnails, call to actions and titles. The CTR (click through rate) has a strong influence on the YouTube algorithm and the best way to boost it is to create compelling thumbnails, call to actions and titles.
Last but not least, the brand should create an influencer kit with all the information and tools the creator will need, like timings, deadlines hashtags, tags, UTM tracked links and product specifications. Keep in mind that comments are strongly correlated with content rankings.
5. Measure Your Performance
The last and most critical side of every Youtube influencer marketing strategy is the performance measurement. Influencer marketing has matured as an industry and we are moving (it will be more and more common) to a payment by results model. Reason why a correct and transparent attribution model should be defined between the two parties involved and since the beginning of the relationship.
Firstly, let’s avoid to select too many KPIs because it will be harder to really generate insights about the campaign. On the contrary, select few metrics but strictly related to your objectives. Secondly, split and segment your indicators selection by the main stage of the marketing funnel:
Awareness, here we are going to analyze top of the funnel KPIs as new subscribers and video views on the brand channel (leveraging Youtube Cards), engagement, watch time and average view duration of the influencer video.
Consideration, in this case we want to compare the ratio between the unique viewers and card/link (on the description) click through rate with the ratio between the generated traffic and number of news leads (for example new mail subscribers) on the brand website.
Conversion, at the bottom of the funnel we evaluate number of conversions and average order value using code (to use in-store or on the website/e-commerce) and tracked URLs.
One last point, in order to have a better understanding of the ROI of you campaign, measure the quality of the reached audience in terms of how fast they move through the funnel. Every stage can be leveraged for specific retargeting actions in pair with other digital assets.
Today, we can clearly observe a raise competition around influencer marketing. So, a data-driven methodology is more and more needed for developing an effective and ROI oriented Youtube influencer strategy.
Here the main guidelines that you should follow: start by benchmarking your influencer list, work with them as real business partners providing creative insights and support, define a step by step analytics framework and measure the quality of the reached audience.
About The Author
You May Also Like
Digital Marketing Veteran Shares Exclusive Social…
We asked Digital Marketing Veteran, Mordecai Holtz for his thoughts on Digital marketing, where it’s come from and which trends are only set to intensify in the future. Check out his answers in this free-wheeling interview below.
How to Increase Your Social Media Traffic - The…
So you published your polished post on social media and started waiting for the clicks to roll in. Hours pass by, but nothing happens.
Does this scenario sound frustratingly familiar?
That's because the volume of social media traffic is in decline. Back in 2014, over 31% of referral traffic came from social media - a number that dropped to 26% in 2018, the first year when search outpaced social for referral traffic.
Even though getting people to see or engage with your content has become a challenge, it's not impossible.
Read on to find out how to increase social media traffic in an effective way: