Careem is the leading ride hailing app in MENA, Turkey, and Pakistan. It’s the region’s only tech unicorn, with a presence in 15 markets, boasting 15+ Million users, and a growing community across their social media channels.
1. What’s it like managing a community of 4 million followers on Facebook alone? What’s the key to keeping on top of it?
We garner over 500,000 interactions a month coming in across 75+ social channels, and there is not one key, but several important factors to stay on top of everything. This includes a large social team in place across multiple markets, clear operational structure, roles and responsibilities, and of course, the best in class management tools to streamline the process. Alongside all of this, consistency is vital to ensure that all markets are creating content and communicating with our customers and fans the ‘Careem way’.
2. Do you set goals for community management - and how do you measure them?
3. Your brand is not afraid to experiment, Careem injects humor into their community management communication with customers. How do you stay on brand while keeping people engaged?
We believe that Careem is not a "company" with "agents" behind our social media, but a universal being, Careem, and its personality is unified across all markets. We all speak as one unified voice - representing one person and we do our best to always be that one person so our customers and fans do not feel like they are talking to different people, but the same person all the time.<3
4. What mistakes do you see brands make most often when implementing a community management strategy?Every brand has a different purpose for their social media strategy; this can range from using their social channels as a digital billboard for their content, to an exclusively platform for customer service. Therefore, it’s hard to point out mistakes without knowing the role of social media in their organization. However, there are a few key mistakes I have observed in general where brands are not taking advantage of the amazing opportunity community management can bring.
I’ve found that a lot of brands struggle with understanding the persona of their audience - what they like, dislike or would want from them, despite even though they have a team talking to their customers on a daily basis who should be very well aware of their audience persona.
The biggest obstacle for us was always the geographic scope we had to cover. Operating from Morocco to Pakistan, we had to adapt to various languages, mindsets, social channel usage and even the country's sentiment - to a disruption platform like ours. The scale was another challenge; as some markets are heavily dependent on social media content, which leads to massive engagement on some of our pages reaching in excess of 100,000 comments on some posts, organically!
5. As you scaled your community, what were the obstacles you encountered. How important are community management tools when scaling?
This is exactly when dependency on tools came into play. With each channel having multiple touchpoints, for instance, Facebook has over 5, and at scale, managing these conversations natively was not possible without missing out on at least half of the interactions. Community management tools help filter through conversations, streamline the flow of incoming engagements, enable conversation tracking, tagging, and of course, provide team management features. In combination with the right social media posts, a smart approach to community management can last a lifetime, shaping priceless brand loyalty and customer advocacy.
You May Also Like
8 Killer Tips for Better Social Media Community…
As a social media community manager, what can you do to help drive business success?
One of the best ways is to help cultivate strong customer relationships, build brand loyalty, and help your business retain more customers in the long-term.
A strong community becomes a place where customers interact not just with your brand, but with each other - working as free word-of-mouth advertising and a great source of positive reviews.
But a social media community doesn’t just spring up overnight. It takes time and hard work to build one. As a social media manager, you’ll have to set up a plan, track the right metrics, and get commenting to get the ball rolling.
Luckily, we’re here to help with these tips and tricks for social media community management best practices.
Lessons in Social Customer Care From The World’s…
Using exclusive Socialbakers data, we dove into 16 of the world’s largest Telecom brands’ social pages to break down how fast they respond to different kinds of posts and tweets - getting rare insight into social customer care in the industry that does it more and better than anyone else - and found lessons that can be applied by any brand in any industry.